Monday, July 8, 2013

Learning to Love

Lately, God's been challenging me to love. Not love like my love for Chad, but my love for people. My compassion. My "walking in their shoes" mentality.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not very good at seeing things from the other side. I know what annoys me and I get annoyed. My husband is the exact opposite. He constantly sees the best in people and wants to help everyone be the best that they can be. It's inspiring, really, and it comes from his wonderful father. He's a business consultant who is one of the wisest people I've ever known. I go to him for advice often, especially when dealing with people. His first question is always "how can you respond out of love?" This is what God has been challenging me with. I've been praying about being more compassionate, patient, and steady. As an extrovert, I often process out loud and say things without really thinking about damage I could be doing. It takes a lot of intentionality on my part to think before speaking. Lately, though, that question has been surfacing often. Right when I'm about to respond to something or make a comment about something, I'll think "am I doing this out of love?" Many times, I'll choose to keep my mouth shut. I've noticed it so much recently. I'm so thankful that God is exposing all of this in me and keeping my heart intentional about truly responding in love.

I was recently looking back in a journal of mine from when Chad and I started seriously dating and were learning how to love each other. I had written that I was going to use 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 as my instruction on how to love him the right way. You all know this passage, as it's one of the most commonly used in weddings. :)

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

I have chosen to love Chad by being patient, kind, not envying, not boasting, not being proud, not being rude, not seeking things for myself...you get the point. As I read this journal entry, I began to wonder why I couldn't apply this to loving people everywhere in my life. My friends, my family, my students, my colleagues- I am choosing to be patient, kind, etc. with everyone in my life. After all, He commands that we love one another. His word says "everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another." That's my prayer. That people would see me differently and see His light shining through me. It's done through loving all people, and I'm learning how to do it. It takes time, but I think it's worth it. 


xoxo,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment