Friday, June 21, 2013

Absence

My sweet husband has been in Nashville this past week, leading a group of 20ish teenagers on a mission trip. I miss him so much. It's so weird how, after just 10 months of marriage, I feel so lost without him around. To make matters even more crazy, he'll be leaving again just 2 weeks from now to attend summer camp with a bunch of junior high kids students ("kids" is a no-no when referring to youth...news to me!). I keep jokingly complaining about being a "single wife" while he's gone. I do miss him so much though! I've been keeping myself busy by setting up coffee dates with friends, hanging out with my nieces, having beach days, and enjoying ice cream & a movie in the park...so clearly, I'll make it through.

While Chad's been gone, I can't help but think about my friends whose husbands are in the military. I know couples who have been separated for a year at a time. My good friend from high school just wrote on her blog all about having a Skyped Father's Day with her husband & their girls because he's in the Army and away for five months at training. Five months, and I'm complaining about seven days. Hello, perspective! Furthermore, husbands who are in active duty most times don't even have regular contact with their wives and children. I can't even imagine. I've been talking to Chad multiple times a day and hearing stories about the students serving elderly people at nursing homes and orphaned children at schools. My husband is out loving people and being a light in this world. My friends' husbands are protecting our country and are witnessing horrific displays of violence in incredibly unsafe areas. I'm so thankful for the men and women who risk their lives every single day to protect us.

Today I'm reminded to pray for our military servicemen and women and their spouses, their kids, their marriages. I'm so grateful that I have a husband whose job allows him to be home with me more often than not. Absence truly does make the heart grow fonder, and has made me so much more grateful for the life Chad and I have together.

xo,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment